The objective of EDEL was to develop an advanced vision enhancement system for night vision application based on near infrared sensor, a novel illumination system and an adaptive human machine interface to reduce the number of road accidents in Europe. Following an analysis of customer benefit and technological benchmarking, the project partners designed the system architecture and component design for an advanced vision enhancement system for night driving based on:
- An automotive-specific Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) camera.
- A near infrared sensor light source integrated into a newly designed vehicle headlamp.
- An innovative, user-centred human machine interface.
The HMI approach was to extend driver's perception, and this was expected to be done in two steps:
- Highlighting the potential obstacles on the images (real time object detection via mono camera system)
- Tracking of obstacles on the images (real time object detection, distance, speed and trajectory via stereo camera system)