EURAMP – EUropean RAmp Metering Project
Ramp metering is the most direct and effective control measure towards an optimal, orderly and safe utilisation of the motorway infrastructure. The major objective of the EURAMP project is to advance, promote and harmonise ramp metering control measures in European motorways in the aim of improving safety and increasing efficiency of traffic flow. This major objective is pursued within EURAMP via a number of multifaceted actions and sub-objectives:
- Advancement of methodological issues, with particular focus on traffic flow safety, to secure a European technological leadership in the area.
- Consolidation, harmonisation and advancement of ramp metering practice in Europe.
- Demonstration of new developments in European sites and paving the way for a new generation of extended (network-wide) ramp-metering installations.
- Co-operation of ramp metering with signal control and further heterogeneous control measures for maximum synergy in terms of traffic flow efficiency and safety.
The EURAMP demonstration sites are:
- xA6 motorway, south of Paris (Ile-de-France)
- xA28 Uithof, A2 Breukelen and A2 Maarsen, in Utrecht (Netherlands)
- xA94 in Munich (Germany)
- xM6 motorway (UK)
- xAyalon Highway, Tel Aviv (Israel)
The five test sites are located on motorways and surrounding networks of various characteristics and levels of telematics infrastructure. In addition there will be simulation testing at two virtual sites, in Ile de France and Munich.
Expected achievements and impact of EURAMP:
- Advancement and cross-site field-evaluation (with special emphasis on traffic safety) of local and network-wide ramp metering strategies.
- Development of a generic software prototype that is interoperable (applicable in various sites).
- Advancement and field-evaluation of integrated urban/interurban strategies.
- Development and evaluation of risk indicators for motorway traffic operations.
- The Handbook of Ramp Metering that will be initially prepared at an early project state and will be continuously updated and extended until it reaches its final form at the project end.
- A helpdesk providing advice and support to ramp metering sites will be continuously operated during the project's lifetime.
The EURAMP project is part of the European Commission’s FP6 Action Line “e-safety of road and air transports”. It started in March 2004, and will last for 36 months. The first stage in the project is the design and simulation testing of ramp metering algorithms in several test sites and virtual sites. This will be followed by the field implementation and verification of the strategy and the field demonstrations, allowing assessment of the strategy and a comparative evaluation.
IBI Group Ltd ; Technical University of Crete, DSSL; Napier University, Edinburgh, Tri ; Southampton City Council; Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité ; Direction Régionale de l'Equipement de l'Ile-de-France, SIER ; Phoenix ISI Ingénierie des Systèmes d'Informations; Bayerische Motoren Werke AG ; Transver GmbH ; Autobahndirektion Südbayern ; Verkehrszentrale Hessen; Ministerie van Verkeer en Waterstaat, RWS-AVV ; Directie Utrecht, RWS-DUT; Directie Oost Nederland, RWS-DON; Ayalon Highway Company Ltd; Dr Elia Ben Shabat Transportation Planning, Traffic Engineering & Control.
EURAMP Leaflet: .pdf (88 KB)
EURAMP Fact sheet: .pdf (149 KB)
Mr. Antulio Richetta
113 Neratziotissis Str.
15124 Maroussi - Greece
Phone: +30 210 6109360
Fax: +30 210 6109716
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Take me to the EURAMP website